Council Meeting (13th and 14th September 2021)
On 13th and 14th September 2021, the 11th Council Meeting of the German-Japanese Energy Transition Council (GJETC) will took place at the Japanese-German Centre Berlin (JDZB) – for the first time in hybrid form. Against the backdrop of the ongoing Corona pandemic, the discussions focused on the challenges posed by the global deterioration of climate change and its implications for the negotiations at COP26 in Glasgow. This raised new research questions for the acceleration of the energy transition and the design of a socio-ecological transformation towards climate neutrality. At the Council meeting the members deliberated on the current situation and agreed on additional studies on decarbonization of industry, battery systems and long-term scenarios, among others. Potential technology and business fields of mutual interest for Germany and Japan were analyzed and the council members discussed about topics for its new format called innovation roundtable including waste heat usage.
Currently supported by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) and the Japanese Ministry of Economic, Trade and Industry (METI), the Cooperation Council has been making an important contribution since its establishment in spring 2016 through bilateral knowledge exchange on energy and climate policy issues as well as the preparation of studies and recommendations to the German and Japanese governments.
Council Meeting (12th March 2021)
For the third time, the GJETC meeting on 12th March 2021 was conducted online due to the lasting Covid-19 pandemic situation. Mr. Jochen Flasbarth, State Secretary at the German Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, and Mr. Shinichi Kihara, Deputy Commissioner at the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy (ANRE) of METI on the Japanese side sent welcoming words to open the meeting. The two co-chairs Prof. Masakazu Toyoda and Prof. Peter Hennicke took turns in moderating the event. Interim results of three studies were presented, including digitalization for grid operation, carbon recycling for energy intensive industries and the impact of the energy transition by Covid-19, which were followed by lively discussions among the council members. Furthermore, ideas for the future work of the GJETC including new study topics, stakeholder dialogues and outreach events were presented and discussed.
Council Meeting 9
For a second time in a row, the GJETC meeting on 25th September 2020 had to take place online due to the Covid-19 pandemic situation. Mr. Shinichi Kihara, Deputy Commissioner at the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy (ANRE) of METI, opened the meeting stating that the new study topics of GJETC – digital applications to optimize transmission grids well as carbon recycling – came very timely. Dr. Karsten Sach, Director-General at the German Environmental Ministry BMU called the GJETC as a valuable pillar of the German Japanese partnership for cooperation in his greeting address.
Besides the opportunities of digital applications such as AI and big data from decentralized energy resources to avoid congestion and bottlenecks in the grid, and the technologies to decarbonize energy-intensive energies (including carbon recycling or hydrogen), the council members also discussed possible long-term effects of the Corona pandemic and recommendations for energy and climate policy in the post-Covid-19 era.
Council Meeting 8
The first GJETC Online Council Meeting took place on 22nd June 2020, after the originally scheduled physical meeting for 18th/19th March had to be cancelled in the wake of the corona lockdown. It was a new experience for all members not only because the working language was English for the first time but the limited time made a stricter time management and schedule necessary. However, it was well received by all members and due to the long-time cooperation of 4 years there was a smooth transition towards this new format, which will surely become part of the new normal in the future of international cooperation.
- Agenda 8th Council Meeting
- GJETC Report 2020 (Stefan Thomas, Ichiro Kutani)
- Corona and Energy Transition (Peter Hennicke, Masakazu Toyoda)
Council Meeting 7
The 7th Council Meeting took place in the hot summer of Japan on 23rd/24th September 2019 in the facilities of GJETC consortium partner Institute of Energy Economics Japan in Tokyo. Thankfully one week before end of Cool Biz (jap. クール・ビズ), a less strict dress code was still acceptable!
During the two days preliminary results of the studies and working groups were discussed with additional input and commentary from external experts from Japan on the topics “Transportation and Sector Coupling” (Yoshitsugu Hayashi, Chubu University) as well as “Energy Efficiency in Buildings” (Takao Sawachi, Kenken).
Council Meeting 6
The 6th Council Meeting was held in Berlin on 6th/7th March 2019 in the facilities of the Japanese-German Center Berlin (JDZB)
After the constituting meeting for phase 2 in November 2018 in Tokyo, this time several German experts were invited for presentation and discussion on the study and working group topics for the 2nd phase. This included
- Jochen Schwill (NEXT Kraftwerke) on the topic “Digitalization and the Energy Transition”,
- Olaf Böttcher (Federal Institute for Research on Building, Urban Affairs and Spatial Development), Frank Heidrich (BMWi), Christian Noll (DENEFF) on “Energy Efficiency in Building”,
- Geert Tjarks (NOW) on Hydrogen Society, Maria Marthe Kleiner (Agora Energiewende) on “Long-term scenarions” and
- Markus Gräbig (Siemens) on “Digitalization and Sector Coupling
In addition, GJETC-Member Felix Matthes gave interesting insight on the work and results of the German “Coal Commission”, which he also was part of.
Council Meeting 5
After an intensive preparation phase the first Council Meeting of the 2nd phase of the GJETC was conducted later than usual on 14th/15th November 2018 in Tokyo.
Moving on from the 1st phase, the 2nd phase of the GJETC will feature not one big comprehensive study program but, building on the research needs and topics of interest for both sides, consist of two main studies on “Hydrogen Society” and “Digitalization & Energy Transition” and several smaller working groups on bottleneck issues such as “Long-term scenarios and review mechanims” or “Energy efficiency in buildings”.
New renowned faces, according to the new research topics and needs of expertise, also joined the ranks of the GJETC Council Members:
- Dr. Carsten Rolle (BDI)
- Dr. Harry Lehmann (UBA)
- Prof. Dr. Andreas Löschel (University of Muenster)
- Prof. Kazuhiko Takeuchi (IGES)
Council Meeting 4
The final Council Meeting of the 1st phase took place from 14th-15th February 2018 in in the facilities of the Japanese-German Center Berlin (JDZB).
As the preliminary concluding meeting the main focus lay on the discussion and adoption of the GJETC Report 2018 and the policy recommendations for German and Japanese lawmakers.
Council Meeting 3
The 3rd Council Meeting on 4th/5th September 2017 in Tokyo was focussed on the discussion of the preliminary study results of the four main studies.
Each discussion occupied half a day and was presented and discussed intensively between the study takers and the Council Members to consent on final adjustments and open questions to be answered until the final review.
Participating for the study takers were:
- Ms. Emiri Yokata (IEEJ) for Study Topic 1: Energy transition as a central building block of a future industrial policy – Comparison and analysis of long-term energy transition scenarios
- Dr. Kentaro Tamura (IGES) for Study Topic 2: Strategic framework and socio-cultural aspects of the energy transition
- Dr. Yoshiki Iinuma (JEPIC) for Study Topic 3: New allocation of roles and business segments of established and new participants in the energy sectors currently and within a future electricity market design“
- Dr. Atsushi Kurosawa (IAE): for Study Topic 4: Energy end-use efficiency potentials and policies and the development of energy service markets
Council Meeting 2
The 2nd Council Meeting on 23rd/24th January 2017 in Berlin was the first to go into detail on studies to discuss the research questions and expectations for the Council Members together with the study takers from the German side of the bilateral consortia.
- Dr. Sascha Samadi & Dr. Julia Terrapon-Pfaff (both Wuppertal Institute) for Study Topic 1: Energy transition as a central building block of a future industrial policy – Comparison and analysis of long-term energy transition scenarios
- Jan Hildebrand (IZES) and Dr. Christine Wörlen (Arepo) for Study Topic 2: Strategic framework and socio-cultural aspects of the energy transition
- Dr. Dr. Patrick Matschoss (IZES) for Study Topic 3: New allocation of roles and business segments of established and new participants in the energy sectors currently and within a future electricity market design“
- Moritz Schäfer & Katja Dinges (both Ecofys): for Study Topic 4: Energy end-use efficiency potentials and policies and the development of energy service markets
Council Meeting 1
The constituting Council Meeting of the GJETC took place on 28th/29th September 2016 in Tokyo.
As the constituting session it focussed on determining the study topics and the bidding procedure as well as the formal institutionalization of the GJETC.